Want to add flavour, colour and nutrition to your meal, then consider adding beets as a side dish or in a salad as a meal.
Beets come in a variety of colours. My favorites are golden beets and Bulls blood beets. I grow both in my garden, but you can find them in your local green grocer. Golden beets have a subtle sweet taste and I find the Bulls Blood beets sweeter and more earthy. The 2 together are a perfect combination.
Give this salad a try.
- 6medium/large beets, I used a combination of red and golden
- 2-3tbsp vegetable oil
- Generous sprinkle salt and pepper
- 3cups greens (mix baby spinach & arugula, lettuce)
- 1small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2tsp sea salt to taste
- 1/2tsp pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash the beets and place them into a Dutch oven (or other oven safe container with a lid, such as a ceramic or heat resistant glass cooking pot). Drizzle the beets with oil and
- sprinkle them with salt and pepper and bake for 60-90 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Start testing for tenderness after 60 minutes by carefully piercing one or several of the beets with a sharp knife; the larger the beets, the longer they will take to fully cook.
- Remove the cooked beets from the oven and let them cool in the pot, covered, until they are cool enough to handle, but don’t let them get too cold; warm beets are easier to peel.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle safely, simply rub them with your fingers to slip the skins off, preferably under running water; this will help prevent your fingers from turning all kinds of pink! Use a paring knife to get rid of any stubborn bits, as needed. Cut the peeled beets into bite size cubes and, preferably, let them cool completely.
- Place the cubed beets in a large mixing bowl, along with the greens and sliced onion.
- Make a vinaigrette by combining the last 6 ingredients. Wisk together in a small bowl until well combined and slightly emulsified. Pour over the salad and toss delicately.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts
- Serve & enjoy