This Corn chowder was developed for flavour as well as nutrition. It is gluten and dairy free using Cashumel Original to add body and creaminess to this soup. It is also a good recipe for canning – see simple canning blog for hints and hacks.
- 2 medium potatoes chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 cups of frozen sweet corn
- 1/8 cup course cornmeal (not corn flour, optional)
- 1/8 cup of chopped chives
- ¼ jar of Cashumel Original
- 1 bay leaf
- Vegetable oil for sautéing the vegetables
- Sauté the onions, peppers, celery, garlic in vegetable oil. Reserve about ¼ cup of the chopped peppers to add later
- Add the potatoes, cornmeal, bay leaf and stock and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and puree until smooth.
- Return to the heat, return the bay leaf to the mixture along with the corn, reserved peppers and chives.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for about 8 mins.
- Add the Cashumel and continue to cook for another 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with additional chives. Enjoy